InnovCrete Seminar: Dan S. Tawfik @ 22/04/2016, 12:00

ΘΕΜΑ: InnovCrete Seminar: Dan S. Tawfik @ 22/04/2016, 12:00

ΑΠΟΣΤΟΛΕΑΣ: Rodanthi Lasithiotaki - Secretariat IMBB [mailto:rodanthi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]

InnovCrete Seminar

How do proteins evolve?

Prof. Dan S. Tawfik, Weizmann Institute of Science, Israel

Friday, April 22nd, 2016 @ 12:00

FORTH Amphitheatre

Host: M. Kokkinidis

I will briefly describe our insights regarding how new enzymatic functions evolve, via gradual, small changes in sequence, and while preserving the overall structure (fold) and active-site architecture. However, the mechanisms underlying these evolutionary micro-transitions do not explain the macro evolutionary transitions – how completely new folds emerge, let alone how the very first protein(s) evolve. The latter are thought to have emerged from short polypeptides. I will describe our findings with respect to how functional, globular proteins may emerge from short peptides.

ΛΙΣΤΑ ΚΟΙΝΟΠΟΙΗΣΕΩΝ ΣΤΗ ΦΙΛΟΣΟΦΙΚΗ ΣΧΟΛΗ.