Γενικό Σεμινάριο (Colloquium) - Τμήμα Μαθηματικών

ΘΕΜΑ: Γενικό Σεμινάριο (Colloquium) - Τμήμα Μαθηματικών

ΑΠΟΣΤΟΛΕΑΣ: Grigorios Fournodavlos gfournodavlos@xxxxxx

Dear all,

We are happy to announce that Dimitris Drikakis (University of Nicosia) will be giving the next talk in our colloquium series on Wednesday, 12:15-13:00.

Location: Room A.303 (Mathematics)

Title: On the modelling and simulation for airborne viruses transmission

Abstract: Using computational multiphysics models, we developed an innovative numerical frame to investigate airborne virus transmission. The above includes the accurate modelling and simulation of different multiscale phenomena that involve particles, such as transport, dispersion, breakup, coalescence, filtration and evaporation. Using the above models, we study the advanced physics of virus-contaminated saliva droplets emitted by a human, i.e., from a cough or a sneeze, subject to different conditions of the surrounding environment (temperature, relative humidity and wind speed). We shed light on i- the social distance in the presence of wind, ii- the efficiency of face masks, iii- the weather effects on airborne virus survival and transmission, iv- the transmission in confined spaces and v- how computational fluid dynamics can be employed in the pandemic, seasonal forecasting by its coupling with epidemiological models. We will present the challenges, uncertainties, and future perspectives for interdisciplinary research, considering that pandemics will likely happen again.

ΛΙΣΤΑ ΚΟΙΝΟΠΟΙΗΣΕΩΝ ΣΤΗ ΦΙΛΟΣΟΦΙΚΗ ΣΧΟΛΗ.